Saint John Paul the Great Catholic High School will award a number of merit-based scholarships to incoming freshmen for the 2020-21 academic year who demonstrate a record of academic excellence, leadership and strong character in their middle-school years. Financial need is not considered for these scholarships. Receiving an academic scholarship does not disqualify a family from applying for financial aid. These scholarships may be renewable each year.
Criteria for an Academic Scholarship:
- Grades in core academic subjects are to be an A- (90%) average or better for the entirety of 7th grade and through the first half of 8th
- Students must mark JP the Great as “first choice” on the High School Placement Test (HSPT)
- The HSPT score must be 90th percentile or higher.
- The student must receive outstanding recommendations from their 8th-grade teacher and principal. Recommendations used for the admissions application are the same ones used for scholarship applications.
To apply for an Academic Scholarship:
- Apply for admission to JP the Great by January 10, 2020. Records and recommendations are necessary, and may arrive from the current school at the conclusion of the first semester, but NOT later than February 5, 2020.
- Submit a typed, 500-1000 word essay about a current ethical, moral, spiritual, or social issue that impacts the human person. In the essay, include a personal reflection on how you and other young people can be part of the solution to improve the world.
- Include a cover sheet with the following information: full name, home address, name of parent or guardian, email address, phone number, current school, current parish/church, “Academic Scholarship” as the scholarship for which you are applying, and the title of your essay.
A limited number of need-based scholarships are available each year to incoming freshmen. A student eligible for financial aid may also earn a need-based scholarship. A completed financial aid application must be submitted via FACTS by the parent/guardian no later than January 20, 2020; all supporting documents must be received by February 5, 2020.
To apply for a Need-Based Scholarship:
- Submit a typed 300-800 word personal reflection on how you will make a difference at Saint John Paul the Great. Include information about your interests, community service activities, and faith-life.
- Include a cover sheet with the following information: full name, home address, name of parent or guardian, email address, phone number, current school, current parish/church, “Need-Based Scholarship” as the scholarship for which you are applying, and the title of your essay.
Parents: For your child to qualify for a need-based scholarship, your tuition aid application must be completed and submitted no later than January 20, 2020. All supporting documentation, per the application instructions, must be received by February 5, 2020. Please visit our website for more information about applying for financial aid.
Scholarship Application Deadline and Submission
All submissions must be mailed or hand-delivered to the School. No email or FAX submission will be accepted. The deadline for student scholarship submission is 3:00 pm on January 10, 2020. There are no exceptions to this deadline. Scholarship recipients will be notified by mail with the Admissions decision letters mailed on February 21, 2020. We regret that we are unable to field scholarship-related questions beyond what is presented on this information page.