The Science Program at Saint John Paul the Great Catholic High School provides students with a method of acquiring, organizing, analyzing, and explaining scientific data. The purpose of the program is to foster in students knowledge of and respect for the order and beauty of creation, an awareness of the forces that shape our physical and biological world, and a sense of personal responsibility for the direction science and technology will take in the course of their lives.
Department Mission Statement:
Members of the Saint John Paul the Great Science Department are committed to foster in students the virtue of science by teaching them to reason rigorously and logically to attain relevant truths about the physical world, about man, and to gain “certain knowledge of things and their proper causes” while respecting:
- scientific and philosophical principles
- the natural moral law
- the dignity of the human person
- the common good of man
- the good of the order and beauty of creation
- a sense of personal responsibility for the direction science and technology will take in the course of their lives.
Graduation Requirements for Science: 3 credits are required for graduation.
- Physics I
- Chemistry I
- Chemistry II
- Physics II
- Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- Genetics / Molecular Genetics
- Environmental Science
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry